Passionate About Life | Abode

Sunday, January 08, 2006

+ Vicinity | Trishaw Revived

One of Tampines Town beautiful public housing

Read in the news a few days ago about a dying trade in Singapore - oldest of transportation using human power - the Trishaw.

Now, you would see Trishaw men plying through the tourist spots with loud disco-punk music blasting over the mini-compo strapped to it. They would move in droves in a convoy filled with happy faces tourists.

I should know the feeling of these tourists because I loved riding in one when I was in my early primary school days.

I remember that our Mom would sometimes hire a trishaw for the 3 of us - Mom, my elder sister and me who would be 7 and 6 years old respectively for rides home.

Our early school days was at Teluk Kurau Primary School.

The trishaw man would cycle from our school to Kaki Bukit Bus Depot, maneuver through potholes and dusty roads, avoided trailing behind the exhausts of trucks and busses, through rain or shine, but we would reach our destination safely anyways.

From there we would have to walk about 20 minutes into our Kampong and reach home.

Besides taking the bus, an alternative but slightly expensive "public" transport was definitely the Trishaw. Mom would have to negotiate the fare before we can hop in.

Once in, I would always get to sit at my favourite spot - on a wooden stool right in front. While my Mom and Sis would sit on the two-seater plastic-covered plush seats that had either a covered or left open-aired fan-like canopy.

I remember the rides vividly, as if it was only yesterday. The street was quiet except for the squeaking and clanking of the trishaw chains when the trishaw man peddled.

The breeze and the scenery throughout the journey. Just heavenly, as though I was flying. Many happy thoughts throughout the journey every time.

On rainy days, the trishaw man would pull down a tranparent platic shroud on all 4 sides to keep the rain out. I would hear the rain drops onto the covers and watched the drops trickle down in front of me. Stuffy at times, but defintely worth it for me.

Sometimes, the peddler would stop a while to put on a poncho. Others did not mind to drenched wet though. Tough life for these men. Tough men indeed.

My mom knew I liked the rides because my face lit up every time she told me that we would take a ride home. And sometimes, I would paster her to take one anyway.

She would also hire on for the ride home whenever after she did her shopping in the wet market called Central Market in Eunos.

That would be her treat for me to help accompany her to the market and carry the groceries back home.

We would do this over many years, until I remembered that there were not as many Trishaw or as easy to see one anymore as the public transport got more comprehensive.

Of course, I was no longer small enough to fit sitting on a stool, and became big enough that only my Mom and me would fit in one trishaw. It would be too heavy for the poor trishaw man to peddle us both, let alone going uphill.

I dwell too much in the past. Coming back after a reality check... I think the trishaw should be revived and brought back to the heartland, the HDB estates.

People can use this cheap and eco friendly tranport to get around the estates. The trishaw is also big enough for groceries. It would be ideal to use the trishaw from wet market shopping.

No potholes, no dusty roads, just a great way to get around the estate and between estates too.

It would be a great and unique addition to our local way of life again, not just for tourists, but for the younger generations too like I want my son to experience the Trishaw rides.

What say you... MPs and RCs?

14 Comments:

  • WHAT A FABULOUS STORY IMRAN.. I LOVE YOUR FAMILY STORIES... GOSH I HOPE THEY DECIDE TO BRING THE TRISHAW'S BACK..IT WOULD BE AWESOME FOR EVERYONE ...I KNOW KIDS WOULD JUST LOVE IT..MY GRANDMOTHER MADE SURE WE TOOK A PASSENGER TRAIN PLACES AND THROUGH DESERT AND MOUNTAINS.. IT WAS WONDERFUL.. NOW WE HAVE AMTRACK AND EXPENSIVE ANDIT'S SO BUILT UP... GEORGE AND I LOVE TO TAKE ROAD TRIPS BY RENTAL CAR.. WE LOVE SEEING THE COAST OF OREGON AND CALIFORNIA.. TAKES US A COUPLE FULL DAYS TRAVEL BUT WE DON'T FLY ANYMORE...WE HATE IT..WE WILL HOWEVER HAVE TO TAKE A FIVE HOUR FLIEGHT FROM WASHINGTON STATE (LOPEZ ISLAND) TO SEE OUR SON JEREMY IN ALASKA...I AM NOT LOOKING FORWARD TO THAT ONE BIT.. FRIENDS WHO HAVE TRAVEL MILES TRY TO GIVE US GOOD TICKETS AND WE REFUSE...THATS HOW MUCH WE DON'T LIKE FLYING..IT'S FREE AND I STILL WON'T DO IT..WELL ANYWAY THE PHONES RINGING THANKS AGAIN FOR THE POST..

    By Blogger won tong, at 2:49 am  

  • My name is Carol.
    Hello Imran,
    I am the conductor of the Friends of the Friendless Marching Band. I choose a friendless site to feature every Friendly Friday.
    You have been nominated for the featured Friendless Site.
    Being nominated as a friendless site only means that your blog
    doesn't have many comments but you have been singled out as being
    worthy of more attention.
    I hope you will come play along.

    By Blogger Carol, at 12:06 am  

  • HI IMRAN AND FAMILY I NOMINATED YOUR SITE TO THE FRIENDS OF THE FRIENDLESS MARCHING BAND.. THEY HAVE COME TO THE RESCUE WITH SOME NICE COMMENTS ABOUT MY BLOG AND YOURS.. I AM A MEMBER OF THE BAND AND WE MARCH AROUND TO DIFFRENT BLOGS.. CAROL IS THE CONDUCTOR.. SHE IS WONDERFUL.. PLEASE GO TO HER BLOG ABOUT FRIENDLY FRIDAY TODAYS AND CHECK OUT COMMENTS ABOUT YOUR BLOG..THAT WERE LEFT CUZ ONE WOMAN HAD TO LEAVE HER COMMENT THERE ON CAROLS BLOG..ALSO THE OTHER 2 BLOGS SHE MENTIONED ARE ONES I SUGGESTED...RO AURORA IS MY NEICE THAT JUST HAD THE 10 LBS 13 OZ..BABY GIRLS.. ANYWAY BETTER KEEP MARCHING MY HAT IS KIND OF WARM TO MARCH THROUGH SINGAPORE..GOING TO COOLER GROUND , OH BY THE WAY I PLAY THE CYMBILS...CLANG CLAG..

    By Blogger won tong, at 3:47 am  

  • Hi Imran ....I'm marching through with the band. It was a very interesting post about trishaws. Thanks for the pictures also.

    By Blogger Lazy Daisy, at 4:19 am  

  • good to see your blog, Imran!
    J. Andrew

    By Blogger J. Andrew Lockhart, at 5:46 am  

  • What a fabulour post and wonderful site.

    Coming from Carol's FFMB.

    By Blogger Raehan, at 5:58 am  

  • Hi Imran, I'm mompoet from Carol's marching band. I hope one day I may visit Singapore and ride in a trishaw!
    mp

    By Blogger mompoet, at 10:44 am  

  • Hi Imran, I'm from the FFMB also. I play the piano in the band.

    I loved this post and the photos too! It reminded me of when I lived in Japan in mid 70's and we rode something similiar to a trishaw. I loved it but remembered I was very concerned for the man having to carry such a "heavy load" on his bike, "us" my husband and I! In Japan the women and men (but especially the women) would ride their bike (with baskets attached) to the food stores and farmers markets to get just enough food and produce that they could carry and fit in their baskets. That was a lot of workout there!

    Welcome to FFMB. Hope to come back to your blog again to visit.

    P.S. Glad none of your apartments were on fire with that false alarm.

    With Angel Blessings,
    Rhiannon

    By Blogger Rhiannon, at 11:06 am  

  • Hello Imran! I'm here with the FFMB. What a lovely site you have, and informative!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:08 am  

  • Hi Imran,
    I hope you enjoyed your Friendly Friday. Would you like to join our band? We meet every Friday to go visiting. Band members are also encouraged to find friendless sites to nominate.

    If you would like to, please leave a comment on my blog stating which instrument you would like to play.

    Keep on blogging...

    By Blogger Carol, at 2:06 pm  

  • Just popped in from Carol's place to say hello!

    By Blogger Uisce, at 10:35 pm  

  • Hello All,

    I am very thankful that you guys get ot come by and leave nice comments about my blog.

    Sister Celtic | I definite prefer travelling by car where I can see the changing scenery. You can stop a while and absorb the beauty for free too.

    Carol | Thank you for the invite. I will play too. I left a message in your blog to join. I always wanted to learn to play the guitar, but I would be in a Mariachi instead of a Marching Band, wouldn't I?

    Sister Celtic | Thanks for introducing me to all these nice people. I am very happy the came.

    Lazy Daisy | Thanks for the comment. I love riding on one and still do when I got to ride on one while touring Malaysia last two years.

    Andrew | Thank for coming in. I like "the flower" very much and can relate to it immediately. Going to your blog to read more.

    Reahan | Thanks for coming in. I like the idea of your list. Ingenious.

    Mompoet | Its a date. I will be waiting for you when you touch down at the airport and take you around town. Trishaw is a good way to get around.

    Rhiannon | I know what you mean. There are many different version of trishaw, but all use human power. Tough life, tough men.

    Barbara | Thanks for your comment. Glad you like it. Yes, sometimes too informative until I loose sight of what I was trying to say initially.

    By Blogger Muhd Imran, at 12:06 am  

  • Hi Imran, I am so pleased that you will be joining us! Tomorrow is Friday, y'know. See you there.

    By Blogger Carol, at 11:55 am  

  • Imran,
    Okay, I admit it...I didn't see your comment until tonight. (Thursday Jan 19)
    I added your name onto the bandroll. I really am pleased to have you in the band. Now we have two guitarists!

    By Blogger Carol, at 12:14 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home