Passionate About Life | Abode

Monday, January 16, 2006

+ Vicinity | Libraries Part2

Ciku Fruits in front of Yoong Clinic along Tampines Street 32

We continued our bus journey to the doctor at Tampines Street 33.

Reached the Dr. Yoong's Clinic about 10 mintes to 9:00am. The queue number displayed was already at 289. Our number given was 101. The number will revert back to 100 after reaching 300. That many patients on Monday.

Since it would take about 30 to 40 minutes before our turn, we decided to have breakfast at McDonald's.

Danish had his default breakfast meal, the Egg McMuffin and hot Milo while I got my first ever Egg Sausage McMuffin with freshly brewed coffee.

Came back to the clinic and we had two queue numbers to go. Stayed outside the clinic for some fresh air, rather than staying indoors with all those air-borne sniffles flying about.

Notice the Ciku trees that were planted on the sides of the roads have started to bear fruits. Wow! My first touch of a Ciku fruit that was still right on the tree.

Normally you would only get it at the supermarket and would not even know how the leave of the Ciku tree looks like. Interesting.

Great that passers-by did not pick them off the tree. Well, probably it was not worth to pay a heavy fine if they were caught doing it.

As always, Dr. Yoong greeted us with a calming smile. He asked Danish all he questions and he answered him describing the symptoms he got and the difficulties he went through the last few nights.

Good news was that he has no symptom of asthma - wheezing sound and suffocating feeling, just the common flu like the many patients that he saw this morning.

The preventive asthma medication he has been taking for the last 2 months have actually worked. He had no such symptom since he started it. He is now into his 3rd month and will stop after this once he is given the green light to stop.

National Library in Victoria Street

The "Adult"

With that good news, we made our way home. We continued our talk about libraries.

He liked the National Library at Victoria Street - the newest and largest library on this island. All 13 storeys of it. Interesting, but did not really satisfy his need for certain information.

It was the first time for both. Wished my wife would join us but she had to tend to her booth at OUB Centre for the Christmas Bazaar.

It has been quite a while since I stepped into a library, but my son was as smooth as a Pro. A regular there with the library policies and procedures. He knows them like the back of his hands.

Scouted around the many levels for a while. Confidently he asked for directions of certain catagories of books and titles he would like to find with the attending librarians.

They were so polite and accommodating. Far from the cold "shhhhh..." staring librarians in my younger days. Finally settle on... yes, books on facts. Science experiments and what have you.

Pity that picture taking was not allowed. I would have taken many, but that is not to take picture, it is a place to read and do research, I know.

Anyway... would have been nice with all wide and spacious, ultra-modern yet comfortable enough to sleep in, library - almost like walking into Starbucks with the plush seats and nice decor.

He even enrolled me electronically and registered me to get a library card issued to me all in one interactive registration station. Just with my ID Card. Cool.

Got our books and off we went to have a break at Han's near the entrance to the library's foyer. Cuppocino for me. Iced Milo for him and a slice of black forest cake for each of us.

With all three libraries, Danish definitely prefers the Tampines Regional Library because of the sheer collection of books on facts of anything under the sun and beyond, I might add with lots of illustrations and pictures, unlike the ones at the National Library that caters more the adults.

"National Library is more for adults," he reminded me, "I am in my pre-teens." He stressed.

"Ah... yes" I agreed. Children grow so fast before you know it. Wow! Did not think I would ever say that.

Well, fine with me. As long as you read and the information educate you for better things, why not! I am blessed.

4 Comments:

  • What a wonderful outing with your son, even though it began with a trip to the doctor.
    (Only a 45 minute wait!)

    By Blogger Carol, at 8:12 pm  

  • Yes it was. You get to spend time with your child and know little things about him however mundane it may seem, but really worth to get to share and watch him growing up.

    Yes, Singapore is a fast moving, efficient driven place. Everything here is fast forward, can't wait, like fast food but without the cholesterol.

    Thanks for coming in. Have a good week ahead.

    By Blogger Muhd Imran, at 12:26 pm  

  • HI IMRAN WILL COMMENT ON YOUR BLOG TOMARROW.. TRYING TO FALL ASLEEP HAVE TO FINISH THE MURAL OR TRY BY TOMARROW NEED TO GET UP EARLY BUT FIRST FALL ASLEEP SIGH.. I LOVED THIS POST AND HAVE TO COMMENT TOMARROW IN THE DAY..DANISH IS DARLING BUT DON'T TELL THE PRE-TEEN THAT HE WILL BLUSH AND THINK I'M AN OLD GEEK PERSON..AND EVEN THOUGH I DON'T EAT AT MC DONALDS IT'S BECAUSE.... AND I'LL TELL YOU TOMARROW..I REALLY LIKE HAMBURGERS SO THEY NEVER CUT IT ...MADE THE GRADE FOR ME..BUT I LOVE EGG MC MUFFINS W/ SAUSAGE OR BACON ...TOMARROW I WILL TELL YOU MY FAVORITE SPOTS AND SEE IF SINGAPORE HAS THE SAME BIG RESTRAUNT CHAINS..NIGHT...

    By Blogger won tong, at 3:25 pm  

  • Hello Sister Celtic,

    You better get some sleep to recharge that creative energy, you and George need to complete the mural. Azi and I can't wait see it!

    Then we can talk and share your experiences with your children and the good eating places that we may have francise here. Can't wait.

    Sweet dreams Sis, and talk to you again soon.

    By Blogger Muhd Imran, at 9:52 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home