Passionate About Life | Abode

Sunday, May 07, 2006

+ GE2006 | Polling Parents

Singapore GE 2006 Sembawang GRC
Done my bit for the nation in the morning yesterday, casting my vote for Tampines GRC.

The scooted off to my parents' place in Woodlands after lunch, to accompany them to cast their votes for their constituency - Sembawang GRC, between People's Action Party or PAP and Singapore Democratic Party or SDP.

SDP Singapore Democratic PartyMom in her wheelchair, Dad pushed it from their block 101 all the way to block 123 where the polling station is, while I just walked beside them. Kind of awkward with all the stares I got from the passers-by.

What an insensitive son that person is! Is the feeling I always felt whenever I accompany them anywhere we go. Passers-by seem to be thinking and "saying" with their facial expression out loud.

Understandably, here I am, an able-bodied man walking by their side while this poor old man had to push his wife's wheelchair around.

GE 2006 Sembawang GRC CandidatesIt is just that Dad insists to do it every time we go out. Not because he does not need any help, but he uses the wheelchair to help him balance as he walks.

So he wheels my Mom everywhere we go. He says it is good exercise for him. I have to agree.

He is a very strong person for an 80 year-old man.. physically and mentally, though he is hard of hearing nowadays.

He was my hero when I was little, he is my hero still, only more magnificent nowadays.

Coming back to the polls.

It was nice that the officers there "took-over" Mom from Dad. Both of them were guided by an officer each from registration, to the casting post where they left them in privacy to mark their choices, then to the ballot box and out to meet me.

I would have taken a photo of them casting their votes, but unfortunately cameras were not allowed... will compromise the voting secrecy... blah... blah...

Enzer Portable VCD Player Model GA1548VCDWe went straight to Causeway Point Shopping Mall and had a late lunch at Long John Sliver, my second lunch of the day. Yikes!

We did some shopping since Mom had several stuff to buy. We went to Metro department store to buy her medium cooking pot, then off to Courts Superstore to buy Dad's, well it was Mom who wanted a portable radio in her bedroom.

Dad ended-up buying a portable an Enzer VCD Player model GA1548VCD with radio, CD and tape player in one for S$69.90 and Mom bought a Moulinex Food Processor for S$84.90 after using a S$5.00 discount coupon.

Moulinex Moulinette Food ProcessorThen off to HomeFix hardware store for where Dad got his Osram 15Watts energy-saving light bulb for S$12.90 for their kitchen bathroom, while I got a halogen light bulb at S$3.50 to replace the a blown one in Wify's shop.

Walked back to my parents' home. Fixed their new VCD Player to her bedroom LCD TV and taught them how to use the player. Gave them their monthly "allowances" for their expenses like always and headed home.

Not before taking some picture of their corridor garden as their potted plants are in full bloom. Since it was already dark, the pictures did not turn out so good.

I left my parents' home with 2 big bags of groceries they bought and already packed earlier for me. They always do that whenever they know their children are coming over.

Parents' Corridor Garden Blooming on Polling DayBig hearts with wonderful gesture, but the best one is when you get to see them with their warm smiles bidding you goodbye at the door until you turn the corner. Always warms the heart.

I wish to do be able to do that with my son when he has his family later in our lives.

Parents... so selfless, always thinking of their children first. Their unconditional love. I vote for their love anytime, love them back forever.

6 Comments:

  • We all learn the importance of appreciating our parents once we are parents as well. With this valuable nugget I'm sure you'll be a good one to your child :-) Just stopping by from the FFMB to say hi!

    By Blogger Chrixean, at 8:56 pm  

  • It's so nice that you appreciate spending time with your parents. They are very lucky.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:29 pm  

  • Imran, you have a good heart! What a blessing to have the love of your parents light the way towards your life with your own children.
    mp

    By Blogger mompoet, at 2:38 am  

  • It's so great to have great parents. I thank God for mine every day. I try not take them for granted for they will not be with us forever. They like yours are very good to me. Unconditonal love. So fantastic. Enjoy all the time with your parents. They sound wonderful. I know some don't have such great parents as you and I do.

    By Blogger wandi, at 10:25 am  

  • BEAUTIFUL STORY AND WHAT A LEGACY THEY ARE TO THE FUTURE OF OUR WORLD.. MY MOM DIED AT 38 YRS OLD 2 WEEKS BEFORE I GRADUATED FROM HIGH SCHOOL.. AND GEORGES PARENTS ARE STILL LIVING AT 86 AND 88 HEARTY SCOTISH FOLKS. YOU ARE SO BLESSED.. WOW...GREAT STORY..

    By Blogger won tong, at 7:35 am  

  • I'm so sorry, Imran, that it has been so long since I've visited! Hopefully things will get calmer in the next few weeks and I'll have a good Summer to catch up!
    take care of yourself!
    Andrew

    By Blogger J. Andrew Lockhart, at 6:07 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home