Passionate About Life | Abode

Friday, March 17, 2006

+ Neighbours | Cab War!

Tampines Street 71 Cab-Flagging Spot
It is the last day of the work week. Wonderful perspective of the weekend stuff to do. A million enjoyable things to do, so little time...

Was waiting for a cab at my usual spot this morning, saw a few people across the road far to my right and another couple my far left. Waited for about 5 to 8 minutes when two ladies came from my flat direction and uncannily stood right in front of me, not 5 feet away from me.

Talking to themselves and started flagging of a cab as if they are not doing anything wrong. Worst still regarded my as if I was invisible.

I was not particularly angry when the older lady started to use her mobile as if she was calling for a cab, but when she flagged an oncoming cab, I was burning mad!

I gave them an infuriated stare at the lack, no... total disregard of common courtesy but just cutting in on me. The older lady just continue talking on her mobile while the younger lady as if punching SMS in hers.

The most irritated thought was that they are the usual people that I sometimes see waiting for a cab. I would stand behind them and wait until they get their cab before I start to flag for mine.

A common, understood virtual "queue" system that is happening all around Singapore, but not to these 2 ladies. They believe they have the utmost right and their needs come first. They simply disregard other people and treat them as invisible.

I was fuming mad when they pretended that I was not there, standing almost an arm's length from them. Their sheer audacity of it all as they flag an incoming cab!

Out of character, I told them off...

FRYday Morning Cab War Depiction"Excuse me! You are very rude!" I exclaimed.

"You can see that I am here waiting for a cab first, and you just cut me in? How rude!" My voice was louder.

"You live around here and we are practically neighbours, and you just cut in here as if I am invisible?!" The younger lady just looked at me... shocked.

"When you guys were here first, I gave way until you get your cab! And you cut in like this?!" The older lady did not even look at me, she just pretended to talk on her mobile.

I flagged the cab and the older lady flagged it too. The cab somehow stopped for me instead. Thank goodness!

Before I went into the cab, I gave them a piece of my mind...

"Please! We live in a society, not in a cave!" I insinuated loudly and sat in the cab, but as I was about to close the door, the older lady said something loud that I could not make out.

Rage got the better of me. Spontaneously, knowing that she would rebuff, so I went out of the cab and asked her...

"Did you say something?" and paused as I looked at both of them for an answer. Here goes nothing, no turning back now... I though.

They both looked away, so I got in and left for work.

I guess the cab driver could make out what was going on, but he kept quite and the journey to work was ragingly unpleasant.

I just could not believe rude people like them. It spoils everyone's day.

You can never judge a person with the way they are dressed. Poised, professionally looking outfit, looks and sounds educated, but not learnt - totally lack of the simplest of manners or at least a moderate regard for the next person, self-absorbed.

I hope I do not have to face them next week and the week after that. I do not know them, but I hate them already. Bumber! I know.

What I can do, is to leave home 10 minutes earlier every morning, so that I do not have to meet them and let them spoil my day.

I sense another unpleasant encounter is inevitable if I do not avoid it. I sense they are still the rude people they were this morning. I hope I am wrong. Sigh.

11 Comments:

  • WELL IMRAN I'M POOPED TONIGHT READY FOR BED NOW BUT I WILL RESPOND TO THIS IN THE MORNING..MY BLOG IS HAVING MAINTAINENCE SO BEEN OFF FOR HOURS..OH WELL..I MAY PUT A TEMP UP . NOW AS FAR AS THOSE LADIES NOT..THEY HAVE NO MANNERS OR GOOD INTENTIONS.. YOUR NOT GOING TO CHANGE THEIR RUDE BEHAVIOR AND I HAVE SAID A FEW TIMES RARE INCIDENTS "YOU ARE RUDE"
    MY THOUGHTS JUST TONIGHT BEFORE I COMMENT TIL TOMARROW ARE..AS UNFORTUNATE AS IT IS TO LEAVE 10 MINS EARLIER.. TRY TO DO IT IF IT HELPS...I THINK YOU WILL BE ALOT HAPPIER.WHAT A BUNCH OF SELFISH SELF SEEKING, SELFISH WOMEN TRYING TO THINK MORE OF THEMSELVES THAN THEY OUGHT TOO HAS LOST REGARD FOR ALL PEOPLE EXCEPT SELF.. IT'S EVERYWHERE IMRAN...THIS IS NOT PARADISE SO WE NEED TO CHOOSE TO BE RIGHT WITH THE LORD...I KNOW MY MOUTH GETS ME IN BIG TROUBLE PLUS I HAD TO FIGHT FOR SURVIVAL ALL MY LIFE AGAINST AN ADULT WORLD ETC AND WEIRDO'S SO I DEVELOPED A FIGHTING SPIRIT IN MY HUMANISM SO IT TOOK THE ALMIGHTY'S SPIRIT TO GIVE ME STRENGTH NOT IN MY OWN POWER TO TURN AWAY AND KEEP QUIET BUT THERE IS A TIME TO SAY IT TOO WHICH I'LL THINK ABOUT AND COMMENT..SO MANY ARE CLUELESS AND SOOOO SELF SELF SELF THESE DAYS BIBLE SAID WHAT IT WOULD BE LIKE " PEOPLE WILL BE LOVERS OF THEMSELVES"...

    By Blogger won tong, at 2:44 pm  

  • Really! There are people who do not care whose foot they step on as long as they get ahead. I hate these kind of people. Anyway judging the book by its cover as we all know pertains mostly on the bad side but it also pertains to the good side like .... a person may look beautiful, clean, good, caring but the very opposite inside.
    Anyway, whenever you meet them again, if its inevitable as you said they are your neighbors remain as courteous as you have been before. They are not people worth losing your best quality. At least the cab driver had more courtesy than they did. Shame on them.

    By Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD, at 10:13 pm  

  • Well, Imran... I just stopped by to wish you congratulations on taking gold in the Blog Olympics ... but it turns out I have been visiting for about an hour now, getting to know you and your family... and poor Puffy... and I have just thoroughly enjoyed my vist! I'm thinking I absolutely MUST add Singapore to my list of places I want to visit now too! Thanks for sharing SO much!

    By Blogger Melli, at 11:14 pm  

  • GOSH IMRAN AND FAMILY PEOPLE LOVE YOU LIKE I DO..GIGGLE YOUR SUCH A REAL REAL SOUL..BEAUTIFUL AND LIKE JESUS...THATS WHY I WAS ATTRACTED TO YOUR BLOG I KNEW..I'M BACK ON..
    WELL I STOPPED BY AS WELL TO CONGRATULATE YOU ON YOUR GOLD MEDAL... I WAS 3RD....BUT WOW YOU WERE TOPS...

    By Blogger won tong, at 1:13 pm  

  • Imran,
    You spoke your mind though instead of just inwardly fuming. I know you will be able to deal with them, should you happen to see them again.

    By Blogger Carol, at 3:17 pm  

  • I guess there are people like that all over the world :(

    By Blogger J. Andrew Lockhart, at 3:24 pm  

  • Did you meet them again, Imran? How did it go?

    By Blogger Carol, at 3:27 pm  

  • Hello All,

    Thank you for coming in and listen to me blabbering away. I was not myself that day. The incident spoilt a few of my days, just thinking about it.

    Sister Celtic | You are very nice. I am so glad to know you. Your words of encouragement bring sanity back to me. Sincerely, thank you Sis.

    Yes thanks, I won gold and you trailed behind. What a race! Lots of pictures, but I would rather have beautiful, postcard-like pictures like the ones you have in your blog.

    Especially the wild life and daffodils on the roof... heaven on earth, Lopez is. You are blessed to live there.

    Friday's Child | You are right. Balance is how I try to live my life everyday.

    It's unfortunate for us neighbours to not regard each other and treat each other courteously. I will be at my best.

    Just hope they don't do it again. Thank you for the advice.

    Melli | How do you do? I am so pleased that you like my blog and find Singapore interesting.

    You will be greeted by me and my family anything you are in Singapore.

    I know, sometimes I share just a bit too much. Too much info. I tend to blabber... there I go again.

    Yeah, I won gold, but you guys have to wait for the page to load... lots of pictures if you have the patience.

    Tell me when you wish to visit our island. Love to meet you.

    Carol | I guess I did. I once I vent it out in the blog, I felt better.

    Then I read all these nice encouraging messages, I felt blessed and glad I actually started this blog.

    I honestly do not know how I will react if I see them again. I have no clue as what I will say next if they actually do it again. Hope I do not have to be in that situation again.

    Friday said something that I think I will follow - not loose it because of them. I cannot change them if they can't change themselves.

    I guess I am just too idealistic. Anyway, leaving home 10 minutes earlier works good for me so far. I have yet to meet them for the whole of this week. Yes!

    Andrew | You are right. I just do not want to meet such people. It brings out the worst in me and I hate it.

    I just have to deal with it and you guys, like my wife, calm my nerves with your encouraging words.

    Anyway, I know where to go to get my dose of serenity - Past Tense. Makes me feel good somehow.

    Have a great weekend you guys!!!

    By Blogger Muhd Imran, at 12:22 am  

  • Hello Dwayne,

    Very nice to hear from you again. This post is one of my worst out-of-character I admit openly. Not sure why, but I confronted them spontaneously. Didn't know what came over me that morning.

    To date, I have yet to meet them. I thank God for that as I have no idea how I will react in front of them again.

    Hope all is well with you and your daughter. Have a good week ahead. Take care.

    By Blogger Muhd Imran, at 8:36 pm  

  • Hello Imran. I wish I was able to speak out against people like that. I meet people on a daily basis who are not very nice. Not very repectful. I just seem to lie down and take it. But I know we are not to be door mats. I need to stand up to people more and tell them that what they did to me was not very nice. I think it's great that you were able to tell those ladies that they were rude. I hope you have a great weekend.

    By Blogger wandi, at 11:21 am  

  • Hello Wandi,

    Sometimes when I relive it in my mind again, I still feel embarrassed about the way I acted.

    Then again, I had to tell them off. I only hope they know and be mindful of others than themselves next time.

    I know I don't want to meet them at the same spot any more because I don't know how to react.

    I just think that I should be nice to everybody, its only right; but if they take advantage or treat me like I'm rubbish, I now need to stand-up for myself.

    I may not win, and they may not learn any lesson, but at least I am someone they should be reckoned with next time.

    Like you said, we are nobody's door mat! It is only up to us to ensure that we are not, because there are a lot of "bad feet" out there.

    I do not care what these "bad feet" think of me. They don't deserve my respect if they don't respect others. I just stand for my right, that's all.

    Hope you have nice weekend. Take care.

    By Blogger Muhd Imran, at 6:05 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home